The long presence of a Church in Muthill is evidenced by the remains of a medieval building and burial ground in the centre of the village. The Old Church has a 12th century tower and the ruins of the 15th century Church building. The present Church, a handsome late Georgian building, dates from 1825-8.
There has been a Church at Trinity Gask for nearly 500 years and the present building dates from 1770.
More recently, in 1984, our two Parishes were linked. Over the intervening years an exceptionally strong relationship has developed between the two churches with a joint Guild and a joint social committee to maintain and develop fellowship between the congregations.
Our vision for our congregations is:
- To provide the opportunity for regular and meaningful worship
- To promote spiritual growth through Christian Education for children, young people and adults
- To show Christian love and care in practical ways where we are able for those in our parish
- To work with other Christian traditions in the area where possible
- To reach out to our Parish with the message of Jesus Christ in appropriate and relevant ways
The Parishes of Muthill and Trinity Gask with Kinkell are 7 miles apart and the road from Muthill to Trinity Gask Church crosses the River Earn at Kinkell Bridge.
The Parish of Muthill has a population of over 800, the majority of whom live in the village, which is situated 3 miles south of Crieff. Perth and Stirling are within a half-hour’s drive and Muthill is on the scenic route from the A9 through the Sma’ Glen to Aberfeldy and Dunkeld.
Trinity Gask and Kinkell, on the other hand, is a purely rural community with no focal point other than the Church. It is equidistant from Crieff and Auchterarder and with good direct access to Perth.
There is an Episcopalian Church in the village whose members participate in the Guild.
The Church also has relationships which we greatly value with the local Primary School and Crieff High School through Chaplaincy involvement.